Location: Carroll County, Mississippi; town of Duck Hill
Date Constructed/ Founded: unknown
Associated Surnames: Eskridge, McNeill
Historical Notes: Albert Fort McNeill was born in North Carolina ca. 1823. His family migrated to Carroll Co., MS where he married Mary Tabitha Eskridge of the T.L. Eskridge Plantation in 1844. In Carroll Co., MS he purchased land from the Grenada land office in 1855 and 1860 [Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908]. According to his last Will and testament (1866), his holdings included a steam saw mill.
Associated Pages: Hector McNeill Plantation (Carroll Co., MS), T.L. Eskridge Plantation (Carroll Co., MS)
ASSOCIATED ENSLAVED PERSONS
1845: To Albert McNeil in right of his wife (son-in-law, husband of Mary Tabitha Eskridge) – Abigail (200), Dolly and child Harril (600), Fanny (325), Feriby (500) [1845 Estate of Thomas L. Eskridge, Carroll Co., MS]
1850: Lot #3 drawn by Albert F. McNeill (son) – Jerry (800), big Mary and child (700), Sally (150), Dick (375), Charles (375) [1850 Estate of Hector McNeill, Carroll Co., MS]
1860: Group 1 – Male age 32 (b.1828), Female age 35 (b.1825), Female age 9 (b.1851), Female age 7 (b.1853), Male age 5 (b.1855), Male age 3 (b.1857), Female age 6 mo. (b.1860); Group 2 – Male age 30 (b.1830), Female age 17 (b.1843), Male age 6 mo. (b.1860); Group 3 – Male age 27 (b.1833), Female age 37 (b.1823), Female age 16 (b.1844), Female age 2 (b.1858); Group 4 – Female age 27 (b.1833), Female age 1 (b.1859); Group 5 – Female age 23 (b.1837), Male age 13 (b.1847); Group 6 – Female age 28 (b.1832), Female age 1 (b.1859); Group 7 – Female age 30 (b.1830), Female age 14 (b.1846), Male age 2 (b.1858), Female age 1 (b.1859), Male age 1 mo. (b.1860); Group 8 – Male age 23 (b.1837), Male age 20 (b.1840), Male age 22 (b.1838), Male age 18 (b.1842), Female age 16 (b.1844) [1860 US Federal Census (Slave Schedules), Carroll Co., MS, Albert F. McNeal (McNeill), 30 total, 5 houses]
ASSOCIATED FREE PERSONS
McNeill family: Albert F. McNeill (b.1823-d.1866) – owner, son of H. and H.F. McNeill, see Hector McNeill Plantation (Carroll Co., MS); Mary Tabitha Eskridge McNeill (b.1829-d.?) – wife (m.1844), dau. of T.L. and J.A.L. Eskridge, see T.L. Eskridge Plantation (Carroll Co., MS); Thomas Hector McNeill (b.1847-d.?) – son; Josiah McNeill (b.1848-d.?) – son; Margaret A. McNeill (b.1851-d.?) – dau.; Adelle McNeill (b.1857-d.?) – dau.; Albert F. McNeill (b.1849-d.?) – son; Clarence McNeill (b.?-d.?) – son
RESEARCH LEADS AND RECORDS
- None listed yet
- None noted yet
- Wiltshire, Betty C. Carroll County, Mississippi Estate Records 1840 – 1869 with Freedmen Apprenticeships.
- Hanks, Stephen. Akee Tree: A Descendant’s Search for His Roots on the Eskridge Plantations. PepperBird Books, Portland, OR. 2005.
- Rootsweb World Connect: Melton McNeill family (Albert F. McNeill, ID: I90)
- Book of Estate Records, Carroll Co., MS. MS Department of Archives
- United States, Bureau of Land Management. Mississippi, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1997.
- Mississippi, Wills and Probate Records, 1780-1982 for Albert F Mcneill. Ancestry.com (online)