Location: Carroll County, Mississippi; town of Duck Hill
Date Constructed/ Founded: ca. 1850
Associated Surnames: Grantham, Eskridge
Historical Notes: John D. Grantham, originally from North Carolina, was working as a manager on the farm of Elbert Collins in Carroll Co., MS in 1850 [US Federal Census]. One year later, he married Sarah R. Eskridge, the daughter of T.L. Eskridge (b.1801-d.1838), a member of the prominent, slaveholding Eskridge family in Duck Hill. That same year, the probate court recorded their acquisition of 12 enslaved persons from the T.L. Eskridge estate, which was controlled by his widow Mrs. Julia A. Eskridge.
Associated Pages: T.L. Eskridge Plantation (Carroll Co., MS)
ASSOCIATED ENSLAVED PERSONS
Grantham family: Jim Grantham (b.?-d.?); Mary Grantham (b.?-d.?) – wife; Dorcas Grantham (b.?-d.?) – child; Paldon Grantham (b.?-d.?) – child
Information from Antebellum Census & Estate Records
1851: To Sarah R. Grantham (daughter) wife of John Grantham, slaves belonging to the heirs of Samuel B. Eskridge – Lot #1 – Jim ($500), Mary, children of Mary and Jim Dorcas, Paldon (250), a child Edam (100); Lot #2 – Jacob (225), Maria (650); Lot #3 – Jiny (500), Becky (350); Lot #4 – John (300), Harriett (250), Polly (275) [1851 Estate of Thomas L. Eskridge]
1860: Male age 35 (b.1825), Female age 18 (b.1842), Male age 17 (b.1843), Female age 16 (b.1844), Male age 16 (b.1844), Male age 15 (b.1845), Female age 13 (b.1847) [1860 US Federal Census (Slave Schedule), Duck Hill, Carroll Co., MS, John D. Grantham, 7 total]
ASSOCIATED FREE PERSONS
Grantham family: John D. Grantham (b.1825-d.1893); Sarah Rebecca Eskridge Grantham (b.1836-d.?) – wife (m.1851), dau. of T.L. and J.A.L. Eskridge, see T.L. Eskridge Plantation (Carroll Co., MS); Samuel Thomas Grantham (b.1859-d.?) – son; Josiah C. Grantham (b.?-d.?) – son; Elizabeth Grantham (b.?-d.?) – dau.
RESEARCH LEADS AND RECORDS
- Hanks, S. Akee Tree: A Descendant’s Search for His Roots on the Eskridge Plantations. PepperBird Books, Portland, OR. 2005.
- Land purchases recorded for John D. Grantham: 1859 – 40.9 acres
- Wiltshire BC (1997). Carroll County, Mississippi Estate Records 1840 – 1869 with Freedmen Apprenticeships.
- Rootsweb World Connect: Raper, Vanderford, Kingsland, Wilkins and Connecting Branches (Richard Edmund Eskridge, ID: I75469)
- Rootsweb World Connect: Grantham-Goodman Genealogy (John D Grantham, ID: I28702). https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=mandygoodman74
- Rootsweb World Connect: Robison/Robertson/Robinson from Ireland (John D Grantham, ID: I07129). https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=:3257911
- Book of Estate Records, Carroll Co., MS. MS Department of Archives
- United States, Bureau of Land Management. Mississippi, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1997.