Location: Approximate Location: Ward 2, Township 19 North, Range 13 East, Section 16, 46, (East) Carroll Parish, Louisiana
Date Constructed/ Founded: not determined
Associated Surnames: Carson
Historical Notes: The Airlie Plantation was owned and operated by James Green Carson, who moved across the Mississippi River from Canebrake Plantation (there was also a Canebrake Plantation, Concordia Parish, in fact there were four Canebrake Plantations) in Adams County, Mississippi, around 1846 with his wife Catherine Waller Carson and family. The Carsons fled to Texas during the Civil War, and James Green Carson died of diphtheria in Tyler, Texas.
Associated Pages: none
ASSOCIATED ENSLAVED PERSONS
1850: 117 slaves [1850 Federal Slave Schedule, J.G. Carson]
1860: 170 slaves [1860 Federal Slave Schedule, James G. Carson]
ASSOCIATED FREE PERSONS
Carson family: Dr. James Green Carson – owner
RESEARCH LEADS AND RECORDS
- Microfilm: Records of Ante-Bellum Southern Plantations, Series G, University Publications of America, 44 North Market St., Frederick, MD 21701. This microfilm is available at the Center for American History, Microfilm 18,335 Series G, Part 1, Reel 11 http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utcah/00382/cah-00382.html – Scope and Contents: Records include land deeds (1846 and 1868); daily record book (1862) including daily events, record of cotton picked, lists of livestock and expenses; genealogical correspondence (1951); and a map of East Carroll Parish, Louisiana, with location of Airlie Plantation (ca. 1951). The record book was printed by Thomas Affleck of New Orleans.
None noted yet
None noted yet