Location: Titus County, Texas; near Mount Pleasant
Date Constructed/ Founded: aft. 1850
Associated Surnames: Cherry, Newton, Johnson
Historical Notes: Isham B. Cherry (b.1826-34) was from a large slave-holding family in Tennessee. There, he became an enslaver (by age 24) before he migrated to Titus County, TX sometime after 1850. Isham B. Cherry and his wife Mary E. Johnson Cherry were living at Mount Pleasant, Titus Co., TX in 1858 when their son Temple J. Cherry was born. By 1864, Isham had purchased ~320 acres near the border of neighboring Franklin County. Isham was the son of Eli Cherry (b.1800-d.1870) and Cynthia Cherry of Tennessee, and the grandson of Eli Cherry Sr. (b.?-d.1842) and Nancy Cherry of Tennessee.
Associated Pages: none
ASSOCIATED ENSLAVED PERSONS
Cherry family: Diana Cherry (b.?-d.?); Mary Cherry (b.1904-d.1996) – dau. of Diana Cherry
Information from Antebellum Census & Estate Records
1842: Will of Eli Cherry, Tennessee
To wife Nancy Cherry – man Sam, woman Venice, girl Caty, girl Rhody; to be hired out by executors (James W. Bashaw, Pirece W. Cherry, Eli Cherry) and bequeathed to daughter Elizabeth Turner’s children – woman Jane, boy Harry; To granddaughter Mary Turner – girl Clary; To granddaughter Nancy Turner – girl Mary; to granddaughter Lovey Turner – boy William; to grandson Albert Turner – boy Isaac; to grand children Nancy Gleaves, Eli Huggins, William Huggins, John Huggins, Maria Huggins, James T. Huggins, Rhody Ann Huggins, – boy Joe; to Emily Kindall – girl Louvinia; daughter Emily Coppage – woman Tabitha, boy Nelson, girl Eliza; to son Albert Cherry – girl Amanda, boy Edmond, girl Nancy; to daughter Charlotte Bashaw in Wilson County – woman Suckey, boy Tom, boy George, girl Celia; to son Pierce W. Cherry – man Peter, woman Stacia, woman Marina, boy Peter, girl Rachel, girl Rebecca; to son Eli Cherry – man Bob, woman Amy, boy Moses, girl Peggy, child Richard
1850: Female age 32 (b.1818), Male age 12 (b.1838), Female age 9 (b.1841), Male age 5 mo. (b.1860) [1850 US Federal Census (Slave Schedule), Hardin Co., TN, Isham B. Cherry, 4 total]
1850: unknown age ?, unknown age ?, [text is faded/ unreadable for two rows], Female age 25 (b.1825), Female age 18 (b.1832), Male age 7 (b.1843), Female age 6 (b.1844), Female age 5 (b.1845) [1850 US Federal Census (Slave Schedule), Titus Co., TX, Nancy P. Cherry, 7 total]
1860: Female age 41 (b.1819), Female age 45 (b.1815), Female age 33 (b.1827), Female age 30 (b.1830), Male age 22 (b.1838), Female age 18 (b.1842), Female age 16 (b.1844), Female age 15 (b.1845), Male age 16 (b.1844), Female age 1 (b.1859) [1860 US Federal Census (Slave Schedule), Titus Co., TX, Nancy P. Cherry, 10 total, 2 houses]
ASSOCIATED FREE PERSONS
Cherry family (Titus Co., TX): Isom (Isham) Barnett Cherry (b.1826-34-d.1920) – owner of Isham Cherry Plantation, Confederate private in the Civil War; Mary Elizabeth Johnson Cherry (b.1840-d.#) – wife (m. #)
Cherry family (Taylor Co., TX): Temple Johnson Cherry (b.1858-d.1945) – son of I.B. and M.E.J. Cherry, Methodist minister and farmer; Mary Clementine Newton Cherry (b.1871-d.1949) – wife (m.#); Temple Johnson Cherry Jr. (b.1898-1981) – son of T.J. and M.C.N. Cherry; Marvin Cherry (b.1907-d.1966) – son of T.J. and M.C.N. Cherry; Allie Malony Cherry (b.1909-d.1986) – dau. of T.J. and M.C.N. Cherry
- Last Will and Testament of Eli Cherry, 1842. Davidson County, Tennessee, USA. Obtained from Ancestry.com. Tennessee, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1779-2008 [database on-line].
- Land Purchases, Isom B. Cherry – Land purchase records for Isom B. Cherry list 160 acres (1863, near Franklin Co., TX), and 158.60 acres (1864, Franklin Co., TX)
- Ancestry.com. 1860 U.S. Federal Census – Slave Schedules [database on-line]. http://ancestry.com. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
- Ancestry.com. 1850 U.S. Federal Census – Slave Schedules [database on-line]. http://ancestry.com. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
- Ancestry.com. Tennessee, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1779-2008 [database on-line]. http://ancestry.com. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
- Ancestry.com. Texas, U.S., Land Title Abstracts,1700-2008 [database on-line]. http://ancestry.com. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000.
- Ancestry.com. Texas, U.S., Muster Roll Index Cards, 1838-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Find-A-Grave. Temple Johnson Cherry, Memorial ID 47727047. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/47727047/temple-johnson-cherry
- Rootsweb World Connect. Temple J. Cherry, Person Id: I79323, Tree Id: 618628. https://wc.rootsweb.com/trees/618628/I79323/templejohnson-cherry/individual